Monday, April 14, 2014

My End of Season Awards


One of my favorite parts of the NBA season are the end of the regular season awards. My other favorite part is pissing off readers with my "crackpot opinions." So, without further ado, here are my top three choices for each category:

Rookie of the Year: 

3rd place- Devin Booker


So right out of the gates, I'm throwing out a, somewhat controversial, choice. A lot of people are going to be choosing Nikola Jokic or Myles Turner for the third spot, but I ask that you keep an open mind. Devin Booker plays on a REALLY bad team. After Eric Bledsoe went down, earlier this season, as well as Brandon Knight, for some time, Booker stepped up in a big way. The kid became the Sun's best and only real scoring option,  averaging about 14 PPG. Additionally, he took this responsibility and maintained a FG percentage of, almost, 43% and a 3-point percentage of, about 35%. Not too shabby for a rookie, especially one that's doing the majority of the work putting points on the board. So yes, his team is terrible, but so were the 76ers two years back when MCW won the award!




2nd place- Kristaps Porzingis


This guy really impressed me. I'm old school and when I see an international player, not named Dirk Nowitzki, drafted in the top 10, I automatically scream "BUST!" Especially when that draftee is over 7-feet tall and as skinny as he is. But again, he really impressed me. Here's what I liked: he can shoot the three ball, BUT HE DOESN'T RELY ON IT! He can play in the post and midrange, he can pass, he can handle the ball, and he's very athletic. Basically, what I'm saying is, this isn't some second coming of Andrea Bargnani. That's because, unlike Bargnani, he can rebound and play this thing called, 'defense.' Despite being, rail-thin, Porzingis averaged 7.3 RPG and 1.9 BPG. On top of that he proved that he could co-exist with, perpetual ball hog, Carmelo Anthony, by averaging 14.3 PPG. That in itself should earn him ROY considerations. 


1st place- Karl Anthony-Towns



My opinions tend to be a little crazy, at times, but I'm not stupid. This dude is, hands down, the rookie of the year. I feel like I really don't need to say anything to support this, but I will anyways, because I like the sound of my own voice. Karl Anthony-Towns is a BEAST.

B- Blocked shots everywhere

E- Efficiency rating of 22.65

A- Athletic monster

S- Stat line! 18.3 PPG/10.5 RPG/ 1.7 BPG

T- That time I ran out of words for an acronym....


He proved that the Timberwolves made the right draft selection and he's only going to get better. With The Big Ticket mentoring him, KAT is going to be a future MVP, no doubt.



Most Improved Player:

3rd place- Reggie Jackson

This one was hard, because Will Barton was my early pick for this award, but I'm looking at overall effectiveness and his team still sucks. Reggie Jackson's doesn't. I was skeptical of Jackson's ability to run the point on a team with real scoring options. Not to mention, he wasn't much of a shooter before this year and he's playing in a system that demands spacing. Reggie is averaging, just shy of 19 PPG with 6.2 APG. Here's what I really noticed. Everyone had Jackson pegged as a ball hog, yet Andre Drummond's PPG went from 13 last year, to 16.3 this year. Additionally, Andre's FG% rose a few notches as well. This team's offense flows better than it has in years and its players can coexist. Hence, why they'll be going to the playoffs for the first time since 2009. 





2nd place- Jae Crowder

Talk about rags to riches. This guy went from a quick trade add-on to an irreplaceable piece to a contending team. Yes its optimistic to call the Celtics a contender, but let me have this damn it!
It's hard to believe that he started last season on a Mavs team, never averaging more than 3.6 PPG to averaging, just under, 15 PPG, 34% from deep and is the C's most versatile defender. He's arguably their best player, although there's a guy named Isaiah Thomas that has a pretty strong argument for that title. Crowder can guard, almost, every position on the court. He's built like an ox, which allows him to defend guys like Lebron, but quick enough to move with the smaller guards. He plays with a chip on his shoulder and a level of consistency that this team sorely needs. This massive jump in player effectiveness is why Jae Crowder earns the second spot on this list. 



1st place- CJ McCollum






Defensive Player of the Year:

3rd place- Serge Ibaks



2nd place- Kawhi Leonard




1st place- Draymond Green









Sixth Man of the Year:


3rd place-




2nd place- 



1st place- 



Most Valuable Player:


3rd place- 
Kawhi Leonard





2nd place- Russel Westbrook




1st place- Stephen Curry














No comments:

Post a Comment